Try taking a look at how many devices in your house require a connection to your local Wi-Fi.
There are probably more than a dozen smart devices, which is common in most households in the world we live in now.
The devices range from mobile phones, tablets, laptops, and gaming consoles. This is the reason you need a router that can support multiple devices, sometimes up to 50 devices.
We have reviewed a number of routers that are good for multiple devices in this article. We have also explained what you need to consider when buying the router.
- NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S-Editor’s Pick
- Linksys Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router-Long range router
- TP-LINK AC2600-Best Budget
What to Consider When Buying the Best Router for 50 Devices
Dual-Band and Tri-Band
A router that allows more than one network to connect is called Dual-Band or Tri-Band. Dual-Band occurs when a 5GHz network is paired with one 2.4GHz network.
On the other hand, Tri-Band occurs when two 5GHz networks are paired with one 2.4GHz network.
Routers that have the Tri-Band type of network tend to reduce bandwidth congestion hence giving you a more consistent connection.
Multi-User-Multiple in Multiple Out
Multi-User-Multiple in Multiple Out also abbreviated as MU-MIMO allows you to connect more than one device to your router at any given time.
The technology reduces the negative effects of reflected WiFi signals between two antennas hence improving connections and speeding up data throughput
Quality of Service (QoS)
Also known as WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) Quality of Service is a function that prioritizes certain kinds of traffic to improve the user experience.
Quality of Service is very important if you realize that your network has started becoming congested by multiple users.
It gives priority to services that need more consistent connection by giving them more bandwidth.
Services like gaming and voice calls are among those that need consistent connection as opposed to download.
802.11ac is fast when compared to 802.11n WiFi. Wireless AC is mostly found in gadgets with single-antennae such as smartphones. It ensures that data transfer is made efficiently thus extending the battery life of your gadget.
This type of network is very appropriate if you have multiple users that are streaming HD video from the same router
CPU and RAM
The CPU and RAM of a router help reduce congestion and improve throughput which means the average number of successful messages delivered through a network is also improved. A good RAM will give you a smooth and uninterrupted transfer of data.
Best Routers for 50 Devices (Multiple Devices): Top Picks
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Router (Editor’s Choice)
NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Router has been built with heavy-duty streaming in mind. The router has wireless speeds of up to 2600Mbps.
It allows you to enjoy 4k Ultra HD streaming and multiplayer online gaming.
Do you have problems with people intruding on your network? With this router network intruding will be a thing of the past thanks to its high wireless security.
It has an option of providing a guest network to your friends hence allowing you to keep your home network and private data behind double firewalls.
The router allows you to enjoy the internet service on up to 45 devices. To minimize interference and maximize speeds the router automatically switches from one band to the other.
This router also comes with a mobile application that allows you to control it from the comfort of your phone.
- The router is easy to setup
- It has painless firmware upgrades
- The router has good wireless signal strength which ranges across all bands
- It comes with a mobile app for easy adjustments
- The device only has free customer service for 90 days
- The device does not support interface monitoring which allows you to know the device that is using the most bandwidth
2. Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router for Home (Best Router for Long Range)
The Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router for Home is the best long-range router you can get in the market. It delivers high-speed connection for your multiple devices.
You can play games, stream, and browse the internet simultaneously without the performance being affected. It has a compatible Max-Range extender that gives a strong WiFi signal to all the rooms in the house.
The router has 4 Ethernet ports. The ports are 10 times faster compared to the standard Ethernet. For maximum WiFi distribution, the router comes with Airtime Fairness. The system also reduces lag that is caused by slower devices.
The router comes with a mobile app that allows you to manage your home WiFi from anywhere. This app can be used on both iOS phones and Android.
- The router is easy to setup
- The app is compatible with both Android and iOS phones
- It has set up alerts with Linksys Smart WiFi
- The guest network is not secured by WPA and uses captive portal instead
- Some people have had challenges with parental controls.
3.TP-LINK AC2600 Smart WiFi Router (Best high performance dual-core processor)
If you are looking for a router to use for multiple devices but you are on a budget then consider getting this one.
The TP-LINK AC2600 Smart WiFi Router has one of the best dual-core processor that means the performance is perfect.
It has exceptional speeds that allow you to stream without buffering thanks to its ultra-fast dual-band WiFi. It has 4 by 4 data streams and you can game online, stream and do other activities online without it lagging.
The router is equipped with Archer A10 that concentrates signal strength toward your connected devices making your wireless network more reliable.
The router also has MU-MIMO technology that allows many devices to be connected to your network at once. It comes with a Tether app that makes it easy to use from the comfort of your phone.
The router also has parental controls that help block inappropriate and malicious websites.
- It is easy to set up
- The range is excellent
- The router has strong and consistent signals
- The router tends to need a power cycle to work for an extended period.
4.D-Link Exo AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router (Best high performance dual-core processor)
The D-Link Exo AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router has the best dual-core processor. The processor helps reduce latency when you are streaming movies or playing games.
It ensures you get a high-speed network when using your devices.
Other features that ensure your connection remains fast are band steering, intelligent QoS, and MU-MIMO. The MU-MIMO technology enables it to be used on multiple devices at the same time without it getting any slower.
The Dual-core processor prevents congestion especially if you are living in an apartment where there are many competing networks. The router has 4 by 4 data streams that reduce the wait time when getting connected.
- It has the best high-performance dual-core processor
- It has an AC Smart Beam technology that allows it to extend the range
- The router only allows reserved IP addresses for 24 devices
5. ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router (Best router for multiple gaming computers)
If you own a gaming lounge or have multiple gaming computers in your house then I would advise you to get the ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router. The router comes with a technology called NitroQAM technology.
NitroQAM technology helps improve the latency for all the gadgets that are using the network.
The router has a 3167 Mbps WiFi speed that allows all the devices to operate smoothly without buffering.
It also has 8 Gigabit LAN ports which is twice what most routers have; this means you use multiple devices smoothly on the network.
The router comes with ASUS AiProtection with parental control for security. It also comes with a mobile application that makes it easy to manage it from the comfort of your phone.
- The router has 8 Gigabit LAN ports which is twice what most routers have
- NitroQAM technology improves the latency for the multiple gaming devices on the network
- 3167 Mbps WiFi speed that allows all the devices to operate smoothly without buffering
- The only drawback is that this router has no manual included in the packaging
Tips of improving your WiFi
- Here are some tips you can consider to help improve your network potential.
- The first option for improving your WiFi is adding a second router to your home that will help distribute the network load. The problem with adding a second router is that it may make it a little difficult to manage the network.
- Contract the Internet Service Provider to Increase the bandwidth
- Use of meshnet, this is a local network topology where the infrastructure nodes connect directly to many other nodes to enable efficient date transfer in the house.
- Use of WiFi extenders, WiFi extenders rebroadcast about half of the routers signals. You can use tri-band extender if you want to get the same performance as that of your router.
Getting a good wireless network that is smooth and does not buffer.
There are a number of things that you have to consider to get the best router for yourself and this article is enough guidance.
The article will hopefully give you all the information you need when making the tough decision of which router to buy.